The lost swallow-bird
They were preparing themselves for the charity tour in the village, The orphanage was depending a bit on the donations the citizens could give, specially with the Festival of the Hirondelles coming.
Many bags were already prepared, and even a small chariot was ready for the tour.
A small voice pierced the ambient of the courtyard.
- Don't go.
Noisette turned herself in her direction
- What's wrong Sucrette?
- That's useless.
- Useless? Why so?
- A joke. That place is a complete bullshit!
- Sucrette, why do you think that the orphanage is a joke?
- 'Cause the so-called Hirondelles, the swallow birds, they never come back.
She was trying to hold her tears back.
- They dumped us there, and they never come back. You're going to beg for food and money to those hypocrites who dumped us there and -
- We are the swallow-birds, we are the Hirondelles, not the adults. We may be adopted, yet we will return to see our sisters of heart.
- I DON'T WANT TO BE ADOPTED!
- I respect your choice, I even understand it. I don't want to be adopted as well. I just want to be with all of you.
- I want to be with you too...
- So Sucrette, why wouldn't you train yourself for the Festival? Do it for the show, for your sisters, Do it to give them a chance to leave the nest if that's their choices, and you will notice that the Hirondelles come back every year. As for me, I'll not leave the orphanage, my place is here and I'll change the system. I swear.
Noisette touched the nose of the pink fawn.
- I... I swear that I'll help you.
- Lil' sugar, I don't doubt about it. The determination, the hope, that's what will change the system. And I will need your hope. But for the moment, focus on your youth.
- Love you Noisette. Don't change. Ever.
She ran away in the courtyard, leaving both Noisette and Tsuki.
- Such a cute lil' doe. She's a fierce one despite her age.
- Yeah, she can be troublesome sometime, but she's deeply honest.
- She made you a promise. And I'm sure she will do everything to make you to achieve your objective.
- I know. I'm proud of that Hirondelle.
- Noisette, I swear that I'll help you to change the system. I don't want to see another orphan to cry like Sucrette.
- Thank you Tsuki, that is truly appreciated...
- Now, shall we go? We have a festival to prepare!
- Sure thing, our sis' are counting on us!
All characters © Amiral Aesir
Watercolors, the 19th October 2016